MagicWand

-
Looking for MagicWand ? click here
-

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ubuntu auto-mute speakers when headphones are plugged in

I was experiencing a problem with ubuntu after upgrading as it was not muting up the main speakers when I was pluging my earphones in my laptop's jack. Sound was coming out from both main speakers and earphones, but recently I found the solution to this problem with little tweaking in the alsa-base configuration file.

you just need to add a little configuration value in 'alsa-base.conf' file and the problem gets solved. To open this file for editing, type the following command in your terminal and provide your system password.

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

then append the below given string at the end of the file and the reboot your system, after saving this to the file.

options snd-hda-intel model=<your_computers_name>



NOTE: replace "<your_computers_name>" with name of your computer (model), for example I have an HP-dv6 so i used  "options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5" (without quotes), although I have a dv6 model but the value hp-dv6 was not working, so I used dv5 instead and it worked for me, So you can also try using value for some sibling models, and also keep in mind that REBOOTING IS REQUIRED for the settings to come in action.

After this adjustment, now my main speakers automatically get down when I connect my earphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment